Skip to content
Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad is currently:
- Chairman of Governing Council and Rector (honorary) of Dhaka School of Economics (DScE)
- Chairman, Governing Body of Palli Karma-Sahayak Foundation (PKSF)
- Coordinator of Bangladesh Climate Change Negotiating Team
He served as
- Member of the UNFCCC Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) Executive Board (2009-2014)
- Coordinating Lead Author of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)-Third Assessment completed in 2001) and Lead Author for IPCC Fourth Assessment (2004-2007)
- President (2002-2010), Bangladesh Economic Association (BEA)
- Chairman of the multidisciplinary research organization Bangladesh Unnayan Parishad (BUP)
- Research Director (up to 1987) at the Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS)
- President of the Kuala Lumpur-based Association of Development Research and Training Institutes of Asia and the Pacific (ADIPA), 1979-83
- Vice President of the Rome-based Society for International Development (SID), 1988-91
- He has served as the chairman or a member of many commissions/committees set up by the Government of Bangladesh at various times. Also, he has played/playing a key role in managing various associations and societies in Bangladesh.
- He has also been the Convener of the Drafting Committee for the Country Report of Bangladesh “Rio 20: National Report on Sustainable Development” for the Brazil United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (June 2012).
- As Co-Chair of the 2010 National Education Policy (NEP) Formulation committee, he played the key role in formulating the NEP 2010, which has been acclaimed widely in the country, across political persuasions.
- He has been Regional Chair of Imagine a New SouthAsia (INSA), a people-centred process of South Asia regional cooperation and development.
- He has played a key role in preparing the Bangladesh Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan (BCCSAP) 2009.
Selected Early Responsibilities
- Chairman, National Jute Commission 2009, GoB
- Member, Expert Committee on Bangladesh Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan 2009, GoB
- Member, Senate, National University, Gazipur, Bangladesh, 2009-2011
- Chair of the Independent Commission for Oil, Gas, and Coal which has been set up by Bangladesh Economic Association (BEA), Dhaka
- Served as a member of various committees/commissions and Tasks Forces set up by the Government of Bangladesh at various times—such as Panel of Economists, Project Appraisal Review Committee, Wages and Productivity Commission, Task Force on Rural and Small Industries, and Bangladesh Social Science Research Council.
- Member, Steering Committee, Flood Study Programme of Stockholm-based Global Water Partnership (GWP), Sweden, August 2001-04.
- Convener of the Task Force on Climate Change and Its Impact on Water Sector set up by the South Asia Technical Advisory Committee (SASTAC) of GWP, Stockholm, Sweden, November 2001-03.
- Chairman, Steering Committee, Bangladesh Social and Economic Forum 2001 held in Dhaka, May 2001.
- Convenor, Committee on Reorganization of Bangladesh Shilpa Bank and Bangladesh Shilpa Rin Shangstha, 1998-99.
- Council Member, Asiatic Society of Bangladesh (January 1998-1999).
- Member, Governing Board, Institute of Flood Control and Drainage Research and also of Academic Council, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET), Dhaka (1995-1998).
- Member, Selection Committee for Professors and Associate Professors, Faculty of Commerce, University of Dhaka (during 1990s).
- Member, Bangladesh-UNESCO National Commission for Education (during 1990s).
- Expert Member, Selection Committee for the Appointment of Research Professor and Associate Research
- Professor (Social Science) Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (February 1987‑89).
- Member, Social Science Research Evaluation Committee, Bangladesh University Grants Commission (1986‑89).
- Convener, Steering Committee, National Association of Social Sciences, Bangladesh (November 1983‑November 1984); Member of the Presidium and Secretary General of the Association (November 1984‑January 1987); and Vice President since January 1987-1989).
- Secretary General (1981‑83), Vice President (1983‑ March 1986) and President (1986-91) of the Bangladesh Chapter of Society for International Development (SID).
- Visiting Scholar at the OECD Development Centre, Paris, France (October‑November 1980).
Member, Executive Board, Foundation for Research on Educational Planning and Development, Dhaka (1995- ).
- Member, Research Advisory committee, Press Institute of Bangladesh (1979‑80).
- Member, Research Advisory Committee, Bangladesh Management Development Centre (1978‑81).
- Vice President, Association of Development Research and Training Institutes of Asia and the Pacific (ADIPA) (1977‑79).
- General Secretary (1977‑79) and Vice President (1979‑81), Bangladesh Economic Association (BEA).